Tuesday, October 18, 2011

First DIY Project: Lacy Arm Warmers

For a while now I've been wanting a pair of unique and lacy arm warmers.  After looking around in all the local stores and visiting all the Halloween sections I still haven't found what I was looking for and decided to make my own.  I have never made any piece of clothing in my life so this is my first.  I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with it and I just might catch this bug.

I wanted these to be warm so I started with a pair of long, brand new and never used black socks.  They were perfect and fitted snuggly.  I cut the feet off and whoila.. we got the back bone. 


For the lacy ends I went to local Fabricland and got two types of lace.  The wide one is the main piece that will fall over my hand and the smaller, more narrow one will be sort of filler on the top of the wider one, right at the wrist. I will also add the smaller one to the top of the warmer as a nice trim.



Here is the first step.  Attaching the wide lace to the back bone with pins.  I'm having so much fun with this.  I'll be debuting these on Halloween night with the rest of my black outfit.  That is if I can wait till Halloween night.. :o  I also made some black bows and found some awesome purple jewels at Fabricland to go with these warmers.  More on that in next post. :)

5 comments:

  1. So lovely!! I hope you will show the pictures when they are ready. I use to make armwarmers of old top but never with much lace. I will try this one next time. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! Yes there will be follow up posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love these-can't wait to see how they turn out! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jamie! The follow up post is now up. :)

    ReplyDelete