Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sick Kitty

Oh, what a day this was.

I woke up this morning to find my kitty Hercules in a bad shape.  He's been sleeping a lot yesterday, we heard him sneezing sometimes and then this morning his nose looked like he ran into cheese shredder: scabby, bloody and looking very, very tender.  I spent the last 3 hours at the vet where they tested him for variety of things including feline AIDS.

Everything came back negative which I'm so grateful for.  It appears that he's probably got some form of upper respiratory bacterial infection.  They put him on antibiotic for 30 days.

Funny thing.  I'm so used to my kids getting colds, flu, stomach aches etc.. normal stuff, I know what to do and how to help them.  When my kitty gets sick though, I freak out.  I don't know what to do to help him (except for taking him to vet of course) and I can't do anything to ease his pain.

He is on the couch now, in the little nook I made for him of super soft plush blanket.  I hope he gets better soon.

Hercules at the vet today.  I learned today that when cats are in pain they look through partially closed eyes just like what he is doing in the picture.


6 comments:

  1. Poor puss! I'm glad it's just a small infection. Cats get those a lot, and they are tough as nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor guy :( I hope the antibiotics do the trick and he feels much better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor kitty! So glad the tests were all negative. He'll just need some extra cuddles to make up for the nasty pills. :) I know what you mean about worrying over the cat-children. They can't give you any feedback about what is wrong or whether they are feeling better, and you can't explain to them what is happening to them. It's tough, but they are resilient!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly about worrying about catchildren. Every time one of mine is ill, or MIA, or unhappy, Mr. Growlithe has a breakdown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the kind and comforting comments ladies.. That's the thing... They can't tell you where it hurts, how much it hurts and whether or not they are feeling better. My little furball is sleeping for the second straight day.. He's taking his medication and I know it will be ok, but I wish he could tell me how he's feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat Sunday always lets us know what's what - he is very vocal. But his brother is virtually silent, unless something is VERY wrong.

    ReplyDelete