Friday, February 1, 2013

Yes!! Make me some beeswax candles!

Last night I was busy making a batch of my own home made beeswax candles.  I love making candles, it's such a relaxing experience and especially beeswax candles because they smell so good!

I'm so lucky to have a beekeeper shop just few houses down the road.  They produce the most delicious honey and many other bee and maple related products.  I even get my moisturizer and beeswax cream from them.  Of course they also have oodles of beautiful and aromatic beeswax which I use to make my candles.



First, I have to break up the beeswax and start melting it.  It really takes a long time so that's the first thing I do.  The best way to melt beeswax is to stick a glass with beeswax into a boiling water.  You should never melt beeswax directly.  Make sure that whatever you choose to melt your beeswax in is something dedicated for just that purpose.  I bought a large measuring glass (because it has a spout) in the thrift store and as the big pot I'm using an old camping pot which is not needed anymore.

That wooden stick you see is to stop the glass from dancing around in the pot.  It can get pretty noisy sometimes!

What else is needed... containers to pour the candles into, wicks and something to attach the wicks to.  I'm making the tealight candles and some votive.  For tealights I'm using the actual tealight containers which I saved the last time I bought tealights at the store.  They are so easy to clean out and save for projects just like this one.  For votive candles I bought containers in the crafts store.



To hold the wicks I'm using little washers which I bought at the hardware store.  I tie the wick to the washer and try to push it upward.  For the wicks I bought hemp cord at the local craft store.


When some of the wax has melted, I grab my ready made wicks and dip them into the wax.  I then position them straight up and in the middle of the the container as much as I can.


After all the wax has melted in the pot, I wait a little while until I can see it starting to cool a bit.  I just want to see a bit of cooling wax skimming along the sides of the glass.  The reason for that is that if the wax is too hot it might stick to the sides of the candle containers.  That wouldn't be a problem with tealights since I don't take them out of the forms but it could be a problem with votive candles.

Oops.. couple of them are not perfectly in the middle.. oh well.. it happens ;)


Since votive candles are a bit bigger than tealights, it's more difficult to make the wick stay straight up.  For that, I use toothpicks to wrap the wicks and position them straight in the middle of the container.  Tealights are not a problem because it's easy to make a wick this short stand straight up.

When the poured wax is cold to the touch I remove the votive candles from their containers and trim the wicks on all the candles.  To remove the candles I gently tap the bottom of the container on the table.  That loosens candle enough to pop out. This has been a blast!!  :)


 Sometimes I also make large pillar candles.  I didn't do that last night because I already have some from last time I made some.  I love the drip look.



And last but not least... Do you know where the name tealight candle came from?  These little candles have been used in teapot warmers to keep the tea nice and hot.  This is the one that I have:

The tealight is in the middle warming up my tea

Cheers!!




7 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome article. I love candles and I've always wanted to make some. I wonder if you can add dye to the melted wax to change the colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sary!! When it comes to beeswax the color is usually not added because beeswax has it's own beautiful color... but yes, you can work with regular white wax and add color. Last time I checked the craft store had different color dye for that purpose. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, i loved this post. I've been thinking of reusing the tea light pots, but threw them away because i didn't had something to fasten the cord. Washers is an excellent solution. Beeswax has such lovely smell. I have to look for a local seller myself. Thanks for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That drippy candle is awesome. I always wanted to get into candle-making but there isn't much time for crafting these days... It'll have to go on my retirement list! ;)

    ReplyDelete